It's been pretty slow around here for news since we announced the acquisition of new head coach Dennis Allen to the Raider Nation. While we have discussed the new HC of the Raiders ad nauseam he is still the new head coach of this team and he's here to usher in a new era along with Reggie McKenzie in the story of the Oakland Raiders. Today will be the first time we will get to see the new HC and most of us don't really know a whole lot about the man. Here are some things to look for at today's press conference.
- It will interesting to see if Davis is present again at the table. Al was always there to introduce the new coaches but with McKenzie in the fold it may be his role now to handle these types of events from now on. Mark may not be as comfortable in these situations but he carried himself very well when introducing Reggie.
- Allen will be in the big chair for the first time in his career and being the youngest HC in the league, we will see how he carries himself in front of the media. I found Cable and Jackson were a little stiff and out of their comfort zone when they attended their first presser as HC of the Raiders and then learned how to deal with the media as time went on.
- Will Allen disclose what his plans are for the OC and DC positions on the Raiders and will he retain anyone from the old regime? Many would like to see Saunders stay for continuity of the offense and allow Allen to concentrate on the defensive side of the ball which requires the most attention
- Can Allen give us a sense that he can fix the penalty problems we have had over the past few years culminating to the disaster we suffered this season? All Jackson would ever say is "Believe me when I tell you we are working on it". Those types of responses only work for so long until they lose their meaning.
- What kind of defense is Allen looking to install? He ran a 4-3 in Denver but has experience in 3-4 schemes as an assistant. Although we don't have the pieces for a 3-4, I hope we see some hybrid looks.
- How does Allen feel about Palmer and whether or not he's the guy to take us to the next level?
- How can help fix one of the worst run defenses going on 5 years or so now?
- Is he going to call plays on defense or is he going to allow his DC to make those calls and concentrate on game planning and game management?
- Hopefully he and Reggie can enlighten us on what their vision is for the Raiders starting in 2012 and how we are going to get there.