Feb 27, 2012; Indianapolis, IN, USA; Mississippi State defensive lineman Fletcher Cox does a footwork drill during the NFL Combine.
I asked Raider Nation which of the physical drills they valued most in a defensive lineman. The top vote getter was the bench press. Second among the options was the 3 cone drill. Here are the results of those drills in the 2012 combine.
1. Dontari Poe, Memphis- 44 reps
2. Loni Fangupo, BYU- 36 reps
2. Mike Martin, Michigan- 36 reps
2. Kendall Reyes, UConn- 36 reps
5. Marcus Forston, Miami- 35 reps
5. Nick Perry, USC- 35 reps
5. Alameda Ta'amu, Washington- 35 reps
5. Brandon Thompson, Clemson- 35 reps
3 cone drill:
1. Bruce Irvin, West Virginia- 6.70
2. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina- 6.83
3. Jake Bequette, Arkansas- 6.90
3. Vinny Curry, Marshall- 6.90
5. Justin Francis, Rutgers- 7.05
6. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State- 7.07
Observations: In the Bench press, the only defensive end to land in the top five was Nick Perry. On the other end of the spectrum is the three cone where the only defensive tackle was Fletcher Cox who was sixth among defensive lineman. The two top guys in each category, Dontari Poe and Bruce Irvin, both blew away the competition in most every event among defensive tackles and defensive ends.