It's' that time. Time for the 2012 NFL draft. On this live draft blog we will discuss all things draft as the picks and trades roll out. Then we discuss. Keep it here for all things NFL from the Silver and Black perspective. Let's see what we have so far...
Shortly after the top two picks were set in stone, Cleveland just traded up one spot from the four overall pick to number three overall. They swapped picks with the Vikings as well as sent 4th, 5th, and 7th rounders to Minnesota. The thinking is they traded up to select Alabama running back Trent Richardson.
Let's keep it going...
You know the draft has begun when Goodell gets booed. Colts are on the clock (still).
1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
Luck be in Indy tonight. No surprise here. Andrew Luck is trying to act surprised now.
2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
The two picks we already knew were going to happen have come down. Now the choices get a little more unexpected.
3. Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
This pick was pretty much expected the moment the Browns traded up to the third overall pick.
4. Minnesota Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC
So far, so expected. No surprises thus far.
**Tampa Bay Buccaneers have traded out of the fifth overall pick to the Jacksonville Jaguars
5. Jacksonville Jaguars: Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State
Lots of trades. just like the draft should be. Gotta get the player you want.
** St Louis Rams trade the 6th overall pick to the Cowboys for the 14th overall pick and the Cowboys's round two pick.
6. Dallas Cowboys: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
Lots of trades. But once the trade is made, it is pretty obvious why they made it.
The seven pick to the Bucs could be the first real mystery of the draft thus far.
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Mark Barron, S, Alabama
Ok, so not a complete mystery. But with all the other picks as obvious, a little intrigue would be welcome.
8. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M
The trades may be the only thing keeping me awake at this point.
9. Carolina Panthers: Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College
Smart pick. Especially with everyone and their brother having them taking Dontari Poe. You wanna talk overrated?
10. Buffalo Bills: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
The Bills had a huge need at cornerback. Gilmore is the second best corner in the draft and there is a considerable dropoff from here. Smart pick. They also could have taken Riley Reiff here and would have filled their need at tackle.
11. Kansas City Chiefs: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Glenn Dorsey anyone? So they try again for a DT to replace a failure by drafting a workout warrior. Dumb, du dumb dumb.
**Seahawks trade the 12th overall pick to the Philadelphia Eagles. Seahawks next pick will now be 15th.
12. Philadelphia Eagles: Fletcher Cox, DT, Mississippi State
I had Cox going to the Eagles at their original 15th overall pick. They really wanted him and wanted to make sure they got him. Good for them.
13. Arizona Cardinals: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame
Larry Fitzgerald gets his guy.
14. St Louis Rams: Michael Brockers, DL, LSU
15. Seattle Seahawks: Bruce Irvin, OLB, West Virginia
And the pick Mel Kiper a week ago had the Raiders taking with their #95 pick goes in the top half of the draft.
16. New York Jets: Quentin Coples, DE, North Carolina
And the first half of the first round is over.