Dre Kirkpatrick from Alabama and Andrew Luck from Stanford talk on stage during the 2012 NFL Draft at Radio City Music Hall
We're at the halfway point of the draft. The first 16 picks had many trades but not a lot of surprise picks. Now the fun begins to pick up. There are a lot of good players still on the board including some who were seen as top ten picks.
I like the trades. It proves which players each teams really want. They don't wait to see who falls to them while likely watching the players they really want go to other teams. They aggressively get their guy. If they succeed, all the more credit. If they fail, there are no excuses.
Now let's keep it goin'...
17. Cincinnati Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
This is the pick the Raiders traded to the Bengals for Carson Palmer. Kirkpatrick is a boom or bust guy. Not a lot of production. This pick is based a lot on potential.
18. San Diego Chargers: Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina
Hate to say it, but great pick by the Chargers. Could be the best player available and they needed a pass rusher.
19. Chicago Bears: Shea McClellin, DE, Boise State
I had McClellen as a low first round pick but when he was invited to the draft, you kinda knew something was up.
20. Tennessee Titans: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor
Titans get the last solid first round wide receiver product in Wright. Although he may not be the last wide receiver taken in the first round.
21. New England Patriots: Chandler Jones, OLB, Syracuse
They were going to take an outside linebacker here. Shea McClellin is gone.
22. Cleveland Browns: Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
Browns chose Brady Quinn #22 overall a few years back. Just sayin.
23. Detroit Lions: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa
Great value pick here. Many people had Reiff in the top half of the first round.
24. Pittsburgh Steelers: David DeCastro, OG, Stanford
Steelers get a steal here. DeCastro is the best guard in this draft and they needed one.
25. New England Patriots: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
Patriots do like they did two seasons ago with tight ends. They stack up at a position of need. This time linebacker.
26. Houston Texans: Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois
27. Cincinnati Bengals: Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
28. Green Bay Packers: Nick Perry, DE, USC
** Ravens trade the 29th pick to the Vikings for their 2nd and 4th round picks.
29. Minnesota Vikings: Harrison Smith, SS, Notre Dame
30. San Francisco 49ers: AJ Jenkins, WR, Illinois
There's a bit of a surprise pick. A lot of people saw a receiver but not this guy.
** Broncos trade the 31st pick to the Buccaneers.
31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Doug Martin, RB, Boise State
Martin becomes the second Boise State player to go in the first round. The Buccaneers were determined to get a complementary back for LeGarrette Blount. They get their guy from the team Blount knows like the back of his knuckles.
32. New York Giants: David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech
And the first round is over. Wilson is a great fit to replace Brandon Jacobs in New York.
Tune in tomorrow as we continue with the live draft blogs.