Despite all the hype over first-round NFL draft selections, whether they succeed or fail is hardly headline news. In the long-run we all know it's the middle-tier guys who show up and prove to be the foundation of championship teams.
So while the headlines focus on Luck and RGIII, DirecTV and NFL draft guru Michael Lombardi are going much deeper, unveiling the definitive and official "2012 NFL draft All Value Team”.
Will these players, selected by Lombardi, become the next Shannon Sharpe, Jared Allen or Marques Colston? Lombardi felt the following late picks in the draft held the most potential for immediate and long-term value to the teams that selected them:
• Jeff Allen – OT/OG, Kansas City (44th)
• Mike Adams – OT, Pittsburgh (56th)
• Akiem Hicks – DE, New Orleans (89th)
• Omar Bolden – CB, Denver (101st)
• Frank Alexander – DE Carolina (103rd)
• Tank Carder – LB, Buffalo (147th)
• Jack Crawford – DE, Oakland (158th)
• Vick Ballard – RB, Indianapolis (170th)
• Billy Winn – DT, Cleveland (205th)
• Caleb McSurdy – LB, Dallas (222nd)
• Cam Johnson – DE, San Francisco (237th)
As you can see, one of Oakland's own drafted players, Jack Crawford, has been selected.