Pro Football Hall of Fame
The finalists for the Pro Football Hall of Fame class of 2013 came out today and former ‘Mr Raider' Tim Brown is among those named.
The Pro Football Hall of Fame announced their 15 modern-era finalists for the 2013 class along with 2 senior nominees. Raiders great, Tim Brown has made the list for the second year in a row. Also making the list was former Raider and Buccaneer defensive lineman, Warren Sapp.
The original list of nominees stood at 127 players, coaches, and contributors. It was pared down to 27 semifinalists and now to 15 finalists. Among those semifinalists who didn't make the list of finalists was former Raiders and Chiefs cornerback, Albert Lewis.
The next step will be announcing those of the 15 finalists who will be enshrined in the 2013 class. That decision will be made when the Selection Committee meets in New Orleans, La. on Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013. The winners will be announced at 8:30 pm PST in a one hour NFL Network Special.
Although there is no set number for any class of enshrinees, the Pro Football Hall of Fame's current ground rules stipulate that between four and seven new members will be selected each year with no more than five coming from the modern-era finalists. To be elected, a finalist must receive a minimum positive vote of 80 percent.
The Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee's 17 finalists (15 modern-era and two senior nominees*) with their positions, teams, and years active follow:
- Larry Allen - Guard/Tackle - 1994-2005 Dallas Cowboys; 2006-07 San Francisco 49ers
- Jerome Bettis - Running Back - 1993-95 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams; 1996-2005 Pittsburgh Steelers
- Tim Brown - Wide Receiver/Kick Returner/Punt Returner - 1988-2003 Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders; 2004 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Cris Carter - Wide Receiver - 1987-89 Philadelphia Eagles; 1990-2001 Minnesota Vikings; 2002 Miami Dolphins
- Curley Culp* - 1968-1974 Kansas City Chiefs; 1974-1980 Houston Oilers; 1980-81 Detroit Lions
- Edward DeBartolo, Jr. - Owner - 1977-2000 San Francisco 49ers
- Kevin Greene - Linebacker/Defensive End - 1985-1992 Los Angeles Rams; 1993-95 Pittsburgh Steelers; 1996, 1998-99 Carolina Panthers; 1997 San Francisco 49ers
- Charles Haley - Defensive End/Linebacker - 1986-1991, 1999 San Francisco 49ers; 1992-96 Dallas Cowboys
- Art Modell - Owner - 1961-1995 Cleveland Browns; 1996-2011 Baltimore Ravens
- Jonathan Ogden - Tackle - 1996-2007 Baltimore Ravens
- Bill Parcells - Coach - 1983-1990 New York Giants; 1993-96 New England Patriots; 1997-99 New York Jets; 2003-06 Dallas Cowboys
- Andre Reed - Wide Receiver - 1985-1999 Buffalo Bills; 2000 Washington Redskins
- Dave Robinson* - 1963-1972 Green Bay Packers; 1973-74 Washington Redskins
- Warren Sapp - Defensive Tackle - 1995-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers; 2004-07 Oakland Raiders
- Will Shields - Guard - 1993-2006 Kansas City Chiefs
- Michael Strahan - Defensive End - 1993-2007 New York Giants
- Aeneas Williams - Cornerback/Safety - 1991-2000 Phoenix/Arizona Cardinals; 2001-04 St. Louis Rams