I asked Raider Nation which of the physical drills they valued most in a tight ends. The top vote getter was the 3 cone drill. Second among the options was the 60 yard shuttle. Here are the results of the tope performers in those drills in the 2012 combine.
3 cone drill
1. Drake Dunsmore, Northwestern- 6.73
2. James Hanna, Oklahoma- 6.76
3. Evan Rodriguez, Temple- 6.94
4. Michael Egnew, Missouri- 7.03
5. Dwayne Allen, Clemson- 7.12
5. LaDarius Green, Lousiana-Lafayette- 7.12
60 yard shuttle
1. James Hanna, Oklahoma- 11.43
1. Evan Rodriguez, Temple- 11.43
3. Drake Dunsmore, Northwester- 11.47
4. Emil Igwenagu, UMass- 11.50
5. David Paulson, Oregon- 11.90
Observations: These two show the same top three players in both areas. It is abundantly clear that the best athletes at the tight ten position are James Hanna, Drake Dunsmoore, and Evan Rodriguez. They went 1-2-3 in both categories with different orders in both. Experts talk about this being a weak tight end class. But these top three tight ends had better numbers than any tight end in last year's combine.