The final roster cuts are trickling in throughout the day with the deadline looming at 6pm PST tonight. The Raiders have yet to announce their cuts but in the meantime, they are studying which players the other teams let go as potential upgrades.
There have been several interesting cuts already today that could garner some serious interest from the Raiders. I will start with those and continuously update this article as more cuts are revealed.
- The first player among the cuts who looks enticing is that of Eagles cornerback, Joselio Hanson. There was a lot of talk that ne might be released or trades last offseason when the Eagles signed former Raider, Nnamdi Asomugha. If the Eagles had cut him or if the deal had been right, you can bet the Raiders would have jumped on it. Now that need is even greater and Hanson is there for the taking.
- The next early cut revealed was the Redskins parting with running back Tim Hightower. He played in the Redskins zone scheme last season and has put together some good numbers in his career. There is a good chance he was simply the odd man out in Washington. The other thinking that he hasn't fully recovered from the ACL injury he suffered last season. That may be something the Raiders would have to see for themselves.
- Another running back just released was DJ Ware of the Giants. He has shown flashes of talent in a packed group of back in New York. His situation is very much like that of Mike Goodson.
- The Giants released another player who may be more of interest-Greg Jones. He was the team's starting middle linebacker at the beginning of last season after they chose him in the sixth round of the 2011 draft. It is uncertain if the Raiders are completely sold on Travis Goethel as backup middle linebacker and even if they are, there is still that possible Rolando McClain suspension hanging on them. Jones could offer some good insurance.
- The Raiders' weak tight end group is concerning and the Browns just released a pretty decent one in Evan Moore. The three year tight end has caught 50 passes for 546 yards and five touchdowns over the past two season in Cleveland. His issue might be blocking though. He stands at an imposing 6-7 which means his weight of 232 pounds isn't a lot.
- The 49ers juts released running back, Rock Cartwright. Cartwright was a special teams star for the Raiders the past two seasons and won the Commitment to Excellence award both years. The Raiders wanted to re-sign him but told him to wait until after the draft and he opted for the sure thing when the 49ers came calling. So much for a sure thing. And with the special team in Oakland looking so terrible, I could see him hopping in his car and crossing the bay to visit Alameda.
- If the Raiders are still not happy with their return game, the two names that just entered the market are former Raider returner Justin Miller who is said to be released by the Lions. They got an up close and personal look at Miller in their third preseason game when he took one back 80 yards on them. The other slight possibility is Mardy Gilyard although this makes the third team who has cut him in two seasons so that doesn't say much for him.
- The Jets have released rookie RB Terrance Ganaway. He is a big (6-0, 239) goal line/short yardage type back. The Jets took him in the sixth round of the 2012 draft and reports say he looked good in camp. He could at very least be worth a look.
- The Broncos released nine-year veteran cornerback Drayton Florence. He could join the other veteran corners on a one year deal and have the oldest cornerback unit in the NFL. If they can get one more year out of all of them, it would be a success. The Chargers are also reportedly interested so keeping them from getting him could be an added bonus.