clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Raiders vs Chargers final score: Raiders score on first 7 possessions, win 37-29

New, comments
Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports

Raiders got off to a fast start against the Chargers when on third and two on their first series and Malcolm Smith intercepted it off a tipped defended pass from TJ Carrie. Smith returned it to the 2-yard-line and two plays later, Latavius Murray punched it in for the score.

The touchdown gave the Raiders a 7-0 lead just 2:14 into the game.

The Chargers would get another shot and once again their series lasted three plays. This time it was Neiko Thorpe with a pass defended on third down and the Chargers were forced to punt it away.

The Raiders got great field position off the punt that their own 46-yard-line and put together a drive that takes takes 5:50 off the clock and ends in a 29-yard field goal from Sebastian Janikowski to take a 10-0 lead with just over five minutes left in the first quarter.

Two-straight defensive penalties on hits to Philip Rivers helped the Chargers significantly on their next series. The first on Aldon Smith for tripping and the next on Mario Edwards for roughing the passer. And the Chargers were in scoring position at the Raiders' 32-yard-line where they converted a field goal to cut the lead to 10-3.

That 7-point deficit would grow very quickly as the Raiders took the ball at their own 23-yard-line and drove for their second touchdown of the game. It was highlighted by a 17-yard run from Latavius Murray and finished off with a perfect strike to tight end Clive Walford for a 23-yard touchdown. It gave the Raiders a 17-3 lead early in the second quarter.

Trying to answer, on the Chargers' second play Philip Rivers throws for his top receiver Keenan Allen and DJ Hayden intercepts it at the 21-yard-line. The Raiders convert on a field goal to extend the lead to 20-3 with just over nine minutes remaining in the first half.

Another defensive stand by the Raiders had the Chargers once again punting after just three plays. This time they started the drive inside Chargers' territory at the 47-yard line. A few plays later, Derek Carr threw an arching jump ball over the middle and Amari Cooper went up and beat two defenders to pull it down. The 44-yard catch put the Raiders in first and goal at the 7-yard-line.

A 6-yard run on first down put the Raiders at the one-yard-line, but after the play, Donald Penn was called for unnecessary roughness and they were marched back to the 16-yard line. A few plays later, they would settle for a field goal to go up 23-3.

The Raiders' defensive dominance continued on the Chargers' series and on the ensuing possession, the Raiders' offense doubled down its dominance. Carr hit Cooper on a screen pass and Cooper did the rest, racing through the Chargers' defense 55 yards for the touchdown.

That score gave the Raiders a score on each of their six possessions in the first half and a 30-3 lead.

A late first half drive put the Chargers in field goal range and the Raiders would take a 30-6 lead into the half.

At this point, Amari Cooper had more yards (117) and touchdowns (1) than the entire Chargers offense (105).

The second half was more of the same. The Raiders took the opening kickoff and drove for a touchdown. It looked like the Chargers just laid down and died. Starting on the ground with some good chunks from Murray and Taiwan Jones and finished off with a 25-yard touchdown pass from Carr to Michael Crabtree for a commanding 37-6 Raiders lead. Make that seven drives for seven scores.

The rest of the third quarter was more defense from the Raiders. It also featured the Raiders first punt of the day.

With the start of the fourth quarter, the Chargers would find the end zone. After the Raiders had locked down the tight end all day, a lapse in coverage left Ladarius Green wide open over the middle and he took it 31 yards for the touchdown. It's important to note that Raiders linebacker Neiron Ball left in the first half with a knee injury not to return.

Midway through the fourth quarter, the Raiders looked to have stopped the Chargers for a turnover on downs, but Charles Woodson was called for holding and David Amerson for pass interference and the Chargers' drive was kept alive. They would score the touchdown on an 8-yard pass from Rivers to Danny Woodhead. A successful 2-point conversion on a pass to Ladarius Green and the Chargers pulled to down 37-21.

At this point, the clock was the Raiders' best friend, and they took just over 2 minutes off the clock before punting for the fourth-straight time.

With 3:13 left, and the Chargers needing two scores, they started their drive. They took all but six seconds of it to score. They did get the touchdown though. That plus the two-point conversion put the Chargers to within one score, down 37-29 with an onsides kick coming. The Raiders recovered the onsides kick and held on for the 37-29 win.