clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Raiders vs Bengals final score: Raiders utterly incompetent in opener, blown out 33-13

New, comments
Cary Edmondson-USA TODAY Sports

The Raiders season got off to an uninspiring starter. They went three-and-out on their first series. That along with a short 39-yard punt gave the Bengals great field position and they drove for a touchdown on their first possession.

The two teams traded stops and punt for the remainder of the first quarter and headed into the second with the Bengals leading 7-0. On the drive, Bengals offensive coordinator Hue Jackson didn't run any crazy trick plays. He just gave the ball to Jeremy Hill and had him run it up the gut. Hill had 6 carries for 24 yards and the touchdown on that drive from 3 yards out.

And that was just the beginning of a very long day for the Raiders and their sold out crowd of fans.

The Bengals completely dominated this game wire to wire.

The second quarter, with the Bengals up 10-0 after a short field goal, Derek Carr was lost to a hand injury on the following drive and didn't return. The hand was hit on a scramble attempt when he went to the ground. He tried throwing on the sideline and winced in severe pain. The outlook isn't good for his prognosis.

On the ensuing drive, the Bengals again drove for a touchdown and a 17-0 lead. The highlight play of the drive was a 30-yard strike to AJ Green. Jeremy Hill again punched it through to finish off the drive.

Then the Raiders had a three and out while the Bengals answered with another touchdown drive. That drive began with an 18-yard catch by Tyler Eifert and ended with a 13-yard touchdown catch by Eifert. The two teams headed into the locker room with the Bengals holding onto a commanding 24-0 lead.

In the third quarter, after the two teams traded defensive stands, the Bengals drove for another touchdown, this time on a brilliant Tyler Eifert catch over the back of DJ Hayden who didn't face the quarterback on the pass. It was Eifert's second touchdown of the day. The extra point would be blocked for a 30-0 Bengals lead.

The Raiders' series lasted just two plays and Matt McGloin was sacked by Geno Atkins. McGloin fumbled the ball and the Bengals recovered at the Oakland 15-yard line. They converted on a 35-yard field goal a few plays later to extend the lead to 33-0.

Midway through the fourth quarter, the Raiders made their first trip into the red zone and they finished it off with an 11-yard touchdown pass from Matt McGloin to Marcel Reece.

With 7:55 left in the game and a 33-7 Bengals lead, the Raiders touchdown drive was too little, too late. More commonly known as ‘Garbage Time'. The Raiders would add one more touchdown on another connection from Matt McGloin to Marcel Reece. The 2-point conversion attempt was dropped by Rod Streater for your final score of 33-13.