clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Raiders at Chiefs 1st half summary: Raiders fighting to play spoiler, losing 14-10 at half

New, comments
Denny Medley-USA TODAY Sports

The Oakland Raiders kicked off to the Kansas City Chiefs to open the game at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri. They proceeded to methodically slash through the Raiders defense easily for an opening drive touchdown. The drive went 80 yards in just 8 plays and was capped off with a 25 yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Maclin to take an early 7-0 lead.

The Raiders managed to get into Chiefs territory but still ended up punting. Marquette King's punt was very nearly blocked but he still managed to get it inside the 20. The Chiefs took over after the punt rolled out of bounds at the Chiefs 13.

The nice punt just helped make the Chiefs drive even more excruciating as they again drove right through the Raiders for another touchdown making the score 14-0. Their drive featured an obvious holding call on a 3rd down play that went uncalled and a 4th down conversion to also help keep their drive alive until they finally scored on a 3 yard touchdown run from Spencer Ware.

Oakland needed a big response after the start to this game, and they got something right away on their kickoff return when Taiwan Jones had a career high 70 yard kick return to the Chiefs 38 yard line. Derek Carr connected with 3rd round rookie TE Clive Walford for a 19 yard gain on their first play of the drive, but that was their only first down before settling for a 29 yard field goal to make it 14-3 KC.

Both teams traded punts and then the game went wild after that. First the Chiefs first play of their next drive was a T.J. Carrie interception at the Chiefs 46, then Derek Carr threw his own interception on a deep ball in the end zone. However, the first play of the next drive for KC was another interception, this one from David Amerson that was returned for a touchdown to make the score 14-10.

On the interception return Amerson was flagged for taunting for high-stepping into the end zone. That penalty then got coupled with Sebastian Janikowski kicking the ball out of bounds so the Chiefs got to start at the Oakland 45 without even returning the kickoff. It didn't matter though because KC quickly went 3 and out and had to punt back to the Raiders.

Jeremy Ross fair caught the ball at the Raiders 9 yard line at the two minute warning for the half. The Raiders offense then took a lot of time up doing not very much with the ball, though Michael Crabtree almost had an amazing 3rd down catch to keep the drive alive. Unfortunately he didn't hold onto the ball when he hit the ground so it was incomplete and Oakland punted back to the Chiefs who proceeded to kneel out the rest of the half with the 14-10 lead.