clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Raiders vs Chiefs final score: Raiders can't cool down red hot Chiefs, 23-17

New, comments
John Rieger-USA TODAY Sports

If you watched the first quarter of this game, you would say this was going to be a long day for the Raiders. The Chiefs jumped out to a 14-0 lead, scoring with relative ease on both of their first two possessions. But after that, the Raiders decided to join the party.

A 70-yard kick return by Taiwan Jones put the Raiders in business at the Chiefs' 38-yard-line. They made it as far as the 11-yard-line before settling for a field goal.

The Raiders defense stepped up in the second quarter. After forcing a punt, the two teams exchanged interceptions. First TJ Carrie stepped in front of an Alex Smith pass to pick it off. Derek Carr gave it right back, as Ron Parker intercepted him in the end zone. But on the first play from the 20, Smith picked off Smith and went up the sideline to score easily and bring it to 14-10.

In the third quarter, the Chiefs got on the board first, blocking a punt in the end zone for a safety. Off the punt, the Chiefs started their ensuing drive near midfield. A roughing the passer penalty gave them first down at the Oakland 15-yard-line and on the next play, tight end David Harris went on a seam route and made a fantastic high point grab with Malcolm Smith in tight coverage for the touchdown and a 23-10 lead.

As for the Raiders offense, it continued to stall. They converted just one first down in the third quarter. Meanwhile Derek Carr was sacked three times. He was sacked again to begin the fourth quarter.

Late in the fourth, the Chiefs looked to have converted on a 39-yard field goal, but it was nullified by a holding penalty. On the re-try there was as botched hold and the Raiders took over with 3:15 remaining, down 13 points.

With the game still in reach, the Raiders took advantage. Two big penalties on Ron Parker for taunting and pass inerference, put the Raiders in scoring position where Derek Carr hit Michael Crabtree for a 31-yard touchdown pass.

The touchdown put the Raiders down six with just under two minutes remaining and three timeouts. The onsides kick attempt failed so they would have to stop the Chiefs offense to keep hope alive.

A pass interference gave the Raiders an automatic first down on their drive, but it wasn't enough. A sack fumble by Carr which was recovered by the Raiders put them in a hole and on fourth down, time ran out before they could get the snap off and the Chiefs won it 23-17.

The Raiders finish the season 7-9 while the Chiefs improve to 11-5 and are headed to the playoffs after winning their 10th straight game.