The inaugural National Fantasy Football Convention (NFFC) has been delayed for a 2nd straight year, and the NFL once again is being blamed for it. Last year it was because the NFL said no players could attend the event due to it being held at a casino owned facility in Las Vegas. Now even though the event is being held at a non-casino owned venue in California, it is still being delayed anyway.
This time the NFFC sent a letter to their sponsors informing them of the 2nd straight year of the convention being delayed, and their reasoning in the letter was that the NFL continues to have "blatant and continued interference" for the event. They did not state the specifics of this "interference" but they did bring up their belief that the NFL has been pressuring sponsors during litigation related to the first delay.
The owner of the company attempting to hold this convention is Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, and you can now consider his feud with the NFL to be ongoing. His company had already filed a restraining order against the NFL which prohibited them from contacting sponsors after EA Sports had backed out of the event last year, however that order has now expired.
The attorney for the company has come out with a statement blaming the NFL for "continued and calculated" actions against the convention, via the Las Vegas Review Journal. He also says that despite the restraining order expiring that the NFL has stated in open court that they would not contact any other sponsors for the convention.
"Sadly, because of the NFL's continued and calculated actions against the NFFC, including Tony, and against the other NFL player participants, in addition to the NFFC sponsors, and even the NFL's own media folks who had committed to participate with the NFFC, the event is being postponed," attorney Michael Hurst said.
NFL again forces postponement of Tony Romo's fantasy football convention | NFL | Sporting News
The National Fantasy Football Convention has postponed its inaugural event for the second straight year.
Last year, the NFL allegedly squeezed a group including Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo into cancelling a fantasy football convention set for Las Vegas by allegedly threatening participating players with discipline due to the fact that the event would be held on property owned by a casino.
From Yahoo Sports: Tony Romo's fantasy football convention again is on hold, even though it’s not in Las Vegas. Is the NFL derailing it?
Other stories from around the AFC West
Sanchez, Siemian clear leaders in QB battle, but Lynch still in the mix - Mile High Report
But Gary Kubiak maintains it is still a three-man battle heading into training camp.
Brandon Marshall pledges to 'earn every penny' of his $32 million contract - Mile High Report
Thrilled with his four-year, $32 million deal, Brandon Marshall says it means a lot the Broncos believe in him.
Joey Bosa is not wrong for holding out - Bolts From The Blue
Contract negotiations between Joey Bosa and the Chargers are at an impasse.
San Diego Chargers mini camp: day one breakdown - Bolts From The Blue
The San Diego Chargers took to the field Tuesday for the first day of this June's Mini Camp. Here's all you need to know about what went down at Murphy Canyon.
Other stories from around the NFL
Bill Barnwell ranks NFL offensive triplets all 32 teams - Pittsburgh Steelers, New England Patriots top list
Would you rather have Roethlisberger, Brown and Bell, or Brady, Gronk and Edelman? Bill Barnwell ranks all 32 teams' set of offensive triplets, with the Steelers and Patriots earning top honors.
Lions' Jimmy Landes would do anything to help friend Johnny Manziel - NFL Nation- ESPN
Jimmy Landes, the long-snapper that the Detroit LIons picked in the sixth round, remembers Johnny Manziel as a good friend, not for his current issues.