Do you like writing about the Oakland Raiders? Are you interested in being a front page contributor? Then we may have an opportunity for you. We currently are looking to fill as many as two positions with monthly stipends available based upon number of weekly posts you can commit to writing.
Type of Content Expected
- Listening to interviews from Raiders players, coaches, and front office personnel from radio audio (i.e. 957thegame.com, raiders.com). Write an article that highlights some of the interesting quotes that were expressed.
- Receive reports from myself on hand at Raiders practices/functions and doing a write-up on it when needed/available.
- Find Raiders-related tweets, either from Raiders players or about the team, and produce an article from it. This could be very broad — i.e. interesting stats or a Raiders player saying/doing something readers may be interested in discussing.
- General news about the Raiders, their season opponents, the AFC West, or the NFL as it may relate to the Raiders.
- Be able to contribute 3-7 posts per week. Generally, all posts should be at least 150 words in length.
- You must have a knack for finding stories or topics to write about on your own. However, you would also receive assignments from time-to-time via email, describing a brief article I’d like you to write in a timely manner.
- Hard-core analysis and opinion pieces are not requirements of this position. However, if you feel you can strike a balance to still produce the amount of content required per week, you are more than welcome to do so.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to edit your own work.
- The desire to learn Search Engine Optimization (SEO) when structuring your headlines (don't worry, it's very simple).
- Having a good grasp of presentation skills and technology in writing is preferred, but can be guided through training. Examples of this include knowing when to use paragraph breaks, bulleted lists, graphics, and embedding tweets or videos, all using SB Nation’s custom posting interface.
- Ability and willingness to keep open lines of communication to coordinate coverage.
How to Apply
If you are interesting in joining our staff here at Silver & Black Pride, please contact me at LeviDamien@gmail.com with a relevant subject line. Here is what you should include in your "application" —
- First and last name
- S&BP username (if you do not have one, please register and create one)
- Cover letter - this should be two paragraphs in length. Examples of what you could talk about include your writing experience (if any), why you would like to write for S&BP, what type of posts you could see yourself writing and/or your strengths, and that you understand the commitment this position entails.
- No formal resume is required. If you have writing samples (particularly in sports), please include a link to them or an attachment. Should you not have any work out there, you may either link to fan posts you have written or begin creating fan posts to which you can direct me for future consideration.
We will be accepting applications through the end of the day on Friday, May 19, 2017, but could start considering applicants sooner than that, depending on the volume and type of candidates who apply.
We will also accept applications for non-paid contributors and will consider outstanding candidates who want to post sparingly as a member of the S&BP staff. This may be of interest to individuals who would like to commit to one weekly column, freelance features, or who enjoy compiling videos. However, we may choose to not add any non-paid contributors at this time.
If there are any questions about the process, please feel free to leave a comment down below.