That award goes to Dwayne Harris who, among other things, had a 49-yard punt return in the fourth quarter that set up a field goal that gave the Raiders a 34-28 lead.
A shout out goes to Keith Smith and Kyle Wilber for laying huge blocks to help spring Harris on that return.
It was a fine return, but Harris made this team for a lot more than is return abilities. He is also an outstanding gunner. He made two tackle Sunday, one to stop the Jabrill Peppers for just one yard.
Raiders PR man (that’s public relations, not punt returner) Evert Geerlings had some more notable stats for Harris.
Dwayne Harris - Special Teams Player of the Week— Evert Geerlings (@E_Geerlings) October 3, 2018
- 5 PRs for 98 yards & 2 ST tackles
- 49-yard PR in the 4th quarter, the longest by a Raider since 2010
- 98 total PR yards ranks 1st in the NFL
- 19.6-yard average ranks 4th in the NFL
- All 5 returns gained at least 10 yards
Another notable stat for Harris is his 5 combined return tackles (3 solo) are tied for second in the NFL over the first four weeks. Good to see him get recognition for his contributions.