clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Two weeks after Obi Melifonwu left practice with undisclosed injury Raiders safety ‘still being evaluated’

New, comments
NFL: Oakland Raiders Rookie Minicamp Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

The strange injury issues with the Raiders top two picks of the 2017 draft continues. Last year it was the lingering shin injury to first round pick corner Gareon Conley. Now it’s the mysterious “Lower body injury” to second round safety Obi Melifonwu.

Melifonwu went out with his latest injury on August 6, which was day 9 of training camp. Shortly after he was injured, head coach Jon Gruden said the injury to Melifonwu was being evaluated. The only details we received were that it was a lower body injury.

Each time Gruden has been asked about Melifonwu’s injury, he has given the same response — he’s still being evaluated. It’s now exactly two weeks since Melifonwu suffered his injury and the update from Gruden is “No, I don’t,” Gruden said of if he had a sense of Melifonwu’s injury and timeline. “He’s still being evaluated.”

And that was all.

Two weeks and we are in the same situation with regard to Obi Melifonwu’s injury as we were before. That’s not good news.

Keep in mind, Melifonwu’s injury two weeks ago wasn’t out of nowhere. He missed all but five games last season, twice being placed on injured reserve, and was slow to join his teammates in the offseason program. When he did return, he was buried on the depth chart.

The only time he saw first team reps ironically was August 6 because he was filling in for a number of injuries at the safety position.

Right now the team is probably at a bit of a loss as to what to do with him. If they don’t figure out the nature and severity of his injury soon, another stint on IR could be in his future.