By his own words, Jon Gruden should probably consider taking a bus to Denver. He said following the 53-man roster cutdown that had Keon Hatcher not been on the team, he would have been “thrown out of the airplane” because of the the three-touchdown performance Hatcher had in the team’s final preseason game. Well, after one game of the season in which Hatcher didn’t see a snap on offense, the team is releasing him.
The move is being made due to the team bringing back Martavis Bryant who had been among the roster cuts due in large part to an expected suspension. Though Gruden said Bryant being cut was not about the suspension but because Hatcher beat him out.
“Keon out performed him and for that reason we’re keeping Keon Hatcher,” Gruden said on September 2. Yeah, about that...
Bryant’s suspension has not been officially handed down yet, and the paltry receiver numbers in the opener, made it glaringly obvious the Raiders are lacking a deep threat. They’re taking Bryant back if even for a short time considering that suspension is still looming.
Hatcher spent last season on the Raiders practice squad after standing out in training camp. His performance in that final preseason game may have earned him a roster spot, but he was still the fifth option on this team at receiver, making him the logical choice to be cut with the addition of another receiver.
Should Hatcher not be picked up by another team, he could return to the practice squad. Although the Raiders just brought Johnny Holton back to the practice squad this week as well.