clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Turning point play of Week 15: Jaguars stun Raiders in final seconds

New, comments
Jacksonville Jaguars v Oakland Raiders Photo by Daniel Shirey/Getty Images

You could not have come up with a worst ending for the final game in Oakland. Besides it being an extremely disappointing loss, this was one of the most bizarre finishes you will see.

It started with 2:12 left in the fourth quarter, the Raiders facing a 2nd and 9. Derek Carr, on a designed run used his feet to pick up 12 yards and a first down that should have brought the game clock to the two minute warning. Following the play, the Raiders were flagged for a delay of game, as there was confusion on the play of whether Carr slid in bounds or out of bounds, which would have stopped the clock with 2:05.

Replays clearly showed Carr was down in bounds, but the play was not challengeable, and therefore the ruling stood. Now, rather than 1st and 10 with two minutes remaining, the Raiders were looking at 1st and 15.

After a ball was bounced off of Tyrell Williams chest on 3rd and 11, Daniel Carlson was brought out to attempt a 50-yard field goal. Carlson’s attempt was wide left, but the Raiders caught a break when the Jaguars were penalized five yards for running into the kicker. Carlson was given another opportunity, but was not able to convert and missed a second time.

Jacksonville took over on their own 35-yard line, needing a field goal to send it to overtime. But in total Raider fashion, an epic meltdown was in order. Gains of eight, eight, 11, and 21 yards occurred, before a backbreaking penalty on Dion Jordan for roughing the passer.

The Jaguars, who were hoping for a field goal to tie, were now on the verge on a possible go-ahead score. On 3rd and Goal at the Oakland 4-yard line, Gardner Minshew took a quick drop and connected with Chris Conley on a slant pass for a touchdown.

The play was this week’s turning point play of the game.

After leading 16-3 at the half, the Jaguars outscored the Raiders 17-0 in the second half. The Raiders last effort at a Hail Mary attempt failed and the game would end with a final score of 20-16.