I’m old enough to remember when teams that had the number one overall pick would make their intentions known even before the draft began. If you have the top pick and have no intention of trading it, why not just make it clear what you’re doing?
Well, the Cardinals aren’t subscribing to that this year. Maybe the Commish wants them to keep up the intrigue to make fans tune in from the start of the draft. Whatever the case, the Cardinals are playing their part to a tee. To the point that they’re claiming to keep the draft’s top four prospects in mind, and according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, are going as far as to contact Quinnen Williams to let him know he’s still in the running.
If the #AZCardinals have made a decision on No. 1, they are keeping it quiet. Source said GM Steve Keim reached out to at least one player -- #Bama DT Quinnen Willliams -- to let him know he’s still a possibility to go first overall.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 25, 2019
Despite their seeming waffling, few predictions are waffling on theirs. Most still believe the pick will be Kyler Murray, including ESPN’s Adam Schefter who said on ESPN that “All signs” point to Murray as the top pick.
Even with the Cardinals taking Josh Rosen in last year’s draft, the talk is still about going QB again and trading Rosen. Should they go in another direction, it would figure to be a vote of confidence in Rosen.
Quinnen Williams is worthy of the top pick so if he’s still there at four, he is certainly a possibility for the Raiders.