Tight end Darren Waller has a chance to set a new team record for receptions in a season. The Pro Bowl tight end has 98 receptions and is six catches away from tying Pro Football Hall of Fame wide receiver Tim Brown’s record of 104 catches set in 1997.
“Here’s a man that’s on the verge of potentially breaking Tim Brown’s record, one I thought never would be broken,” said Raiders’ coach Jon Gruden, who also coached Brown from 1998.
Waller is averaging 6.5 catches a game and he has had seven catches or more in six games this season. Expect getting Waller the record to be a big part of the Raiders’ offensive game plan on Sunday.
In other Raiders’ links:
- Nothing to write home about: This Jon Gruden-Derek Carr stat isn’t overly impressive.
- Draft status: The Raiders are currently on pace for the No. 16 pick in the first round of the draft.
- Safety help available: Detroit’s Jayron Kearse is available Tuesday on waivers. The Raiders are thin at position.
- Mack in 2021? If/when the NFL adds a 17th game in 2021, the Raiders would be set to play Khalil Mack and the Chicago Bears.
- Hungry at defensive tackle? If so, Damon “Snacks” Harrison is available after getting cut by the Seattle Seahawks.