Las Vegas Raiders kicker Daniel Carlson has had a terrific season, but he’s been on the field too often for short field-goal attempts.
According to the Associated Press, the Raiders have attempted six field goals from inside the opponent’s 20-yard line when they needed two or fewer yards for a first down. Those six attempts are, by far, the most in the NFL ... basically, the Raiders aren’t able to finish drives in the red zone.
The disturbing trend has contributed directly to losses in the last two games, first to the Los Angeles Chargers and then to the Miami Dolphins. Red-zone offense was a focal point of this season after the Raiders struggled there in 2019. Finishing touchdown drives will be the focus for improvement once again in 2021 for the Raiders.
In other Raiders’ links:
- The here and now: The Athletic looks at Jon Gruden’s plan for Week 17, not 2021.
- Where do the Raiders rank? Check out ProFootballTalk’s Week 17 power rankings.
- Tape time: The Athletic looks at the ugly tape of the Miami game.
- Where does Derek Carr rank? Here is FanSided’s weekly quarterback rankings.
- Rookie grades: PFF has its first-round Week 17 grades.