Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis said on Saturday that if fans, such as the ones who purchased season tickets and helped finance the construction of Allegiant Stadium, can’t attend games this year then he won’t go either. As reported by Vic Tafur of The Athletic, Davis said it has to be “all or none” when it comes to who gets to go to the games this year as the NFL and world figures out how to respond to the coronavirus pandemic.
“I won’t go if the fans can’t go, and the way it looks right now there won’t be any fans at our games,” Davis said Saturday afternoon.
Davis seems confident that if the NFL proceeds with its 2020 season as scheduled, it will be to empty stadiums. According to The Athletic’s Daniel Kaplan in June, the NFL is allowing the attendance decision to be a “state-by-state, county-by-county thing.”
The Baltimore Ravens are said to be allowing less than 20% capacity into games next season at a cap of 14,000. The Eagles will play to an empty stadium as the city of Philadelphia declared a moratorium on large public events through February 2021. Nevada has a gathering limit of 50 people as of now and has asked to keep attendance of events at 50-percent or less.
When NFL owners voted earlier this offseason on tarping off the first eight rows at games, the vote was 31-1. The lone vote against was Mark Davis. They have not made any formal announcements as to how many fans will be allowed at games but it sounds like the only choice for Davis is to have no changes or to keep everybody out.
The Raiders sold $478 million in Personal Seat Licenses for season ticket holders per Las Vegas Review-Journal and it may be hard to appease everybody while limiting the number of people allowed into the games.
Las Vegas is set to make its regular season home debut on September 21st against the New Orleans Saints on Monday Night Football.