No matter if Marcus Mariota makes a real run to take Derek Carr’s job this season, the Raiders’ decision to sign the veteran this offseason is being recognized as a smart move.
Pro Football Focus (PFF) ranked the NFL backup quarterback situations across the league — the Las Vegas Raiders are in the second tier and ranked sixth overall. That is an excellent position for them to be in. Backup quarterback, of course, is a pivotal position. If Carr gets hurt, the Raiders can plug in the former Tennessee Titans’ starter and feel pretty good about competing without Carr. Not every team can say that if their starting quarterback goes down with an injury.
Securing Mariota was a priority for the Raiders this offseason. They are paying him at the top of pay scale for backups. Clearly, the Raiders saw the value in Mariota and feel good about it.
This ranking shows why that was a good decision.
In other Raiders’ links:
- Carr is third-tier QB: Both The Athletic and PFF released their quarterback tier rankings and Carr was third tier, which is middle of the road, on both sites.
- All-time roster: CBS has a cool look at the Raiders’ all-time 53-man roster. It’s a killer team.
- Welcome to Vegas: ESPN has a look at sports royalty in Las Vegas welcoming the Raiders to town.
- Cool news: The Raiders will have their own radio station in Las Vegas.
- Jacobs honored: USA Today ranks Josh Jacobs as the sixth best running back in the NFL and that’s pretty cool for a guy entering his second season.