There were few young veterans who arrived at the Raiders’ training camp last month with more to prove than Arden Key. It appears he understood that and he is responding well.
The Athletic reported that the third-year defensive end has stood out in the first two days of padded practice at the Raiders’ Henderson, Nevada practice facility and he looked “explosive.”
That is a major deal, folks.
I’ve been told the Raiders were losing patience with the 2018 third-round pick and that he needed to show something in training camp. He produced little in his first two NFL season. Yet, new Raiders defensive line coach Rod Marinelli, who is considered one of the best in the business, had an open mind about working with Key.
If Key can keep it up in training camp, especially since there aren’t any preseason games, he can force his way back onto the roster.
The Raiders would love Key to be a rotational pass-rusher along with free-agent pickup Carl Nassib. But Key must earn his way on the team. It appears he’s off to a great start.
In other Raiders’ links:
- A look at Marinelli: The Raiders’ site looks at Marinelli’s great career.
- Look at Nnamdi: Former Raiders’ star cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha is thriving in a new career.
- Bo knows: The great Bo Jackson shows his Silver and Black Pride.
- Crosby loves new coach: Defensive end Maxx Crosby enjoys the tough approach Marinelli takes.
- Praise for Hurst: Maurice Hurst gets nice grade from PFF.