Frank Schwab of Yahoo looked at choices for the 2020 breakout player for every AFC team this week. His pick for the Raiders: Defensive end Clelin Ferrell.
On face value, one would think Ferrell better break out in 2020. After all, he was the No. 4 overall draft pick in 2019. The Raiders drafted him to make a huge impact but Ferrell was just so-so as a rookie. He flashed, but he was overshadowed by fellow rookie, fourth-round pick Maxx Crosby.
However, Ferrell has reportedly made strides in training camp and has gained a lot of strength. So, it is Ferrell’s time and he is a decent choice as the Raiders’ breakout star for this season.
I think a couple of other players to watch are slot receiver Hunter Renfrow and tight end Foster Moreau. They were also part of the 2019 draft class. I can see Renfrow, who had 49 catches last seasons, get into the 75-80 catch range this season. Raiders quarterback Derek Carr trusts Renfrow already and often looks for him.
Moreau is making great strides after tearing his ACL in December. He made some clutch plays as a rookie and I see him making a bigger impact on the offense in 2020.
Who are your breakout choices?
In other Raiders’ links:
- Special gift: The Raiders have something nice for their season-ticket holders.
- Field is ready: The field grass stray is in place for the Raiders’ practice at Allegiant Stadium.
- Bad man: Maliek Collins is a terror at practice.
- More on Renfrow: The Las Vegas Review Journal takes a close look at Renfrow.
- Raiders a playoff dark horse? Yes, NFL.com thinks so.