clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Raiders release cornerback Damon Arnette

Arnette was the No. 19 overall pick in 2020 draft

Miami Dolphins v Las Vegas Raiders
Damon Arnette
Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images

For the second time in six days, the Las Vegas Raiders have released a 2020 first-round draft pick.

According to NFL Media, the Raiders are parting ways with cornerback Damon Arnette. The Ohio State product was the No. 19 overall draft pick. He will be available on waivers Tuesday if the release becomes official on Monday.

Last Tuesday, the Raiders released wide receiver Henry Ruggs III hours after he was charged with DUI resulting in death related to a crash early that morning in Las Vegas. Ruggs, the No. 12 overall pick in that draft, could face up to 40 years in prison,

Arnette’s release was also be motivated by off-field issues. Over the weekend, a social media post emerged showing Arnette brandishing a firearm and threatening to kill an unknown person. He also faces two lawsuits stemming from incidents in Las Vegas.

Raiders’ general manager Mike Mayock told reporters on Monday morning that it was a “painful decision” to cut Arnette, but the team won’t tolerate a player threatening the life of someone.

On Friday, Raiders interim head coach Rich Bisaccia said the team was aware of a lawsuit filed against Arnette stemming from a car accident last year near the team’s Henderson, Nevada facility.

Arnette, 25, was on the injured reserve at the time of his release. He struggled on the field in his short time with the Raiders and couldn’t maintain a starting job. Arnette leaves Las Vegas playing just 13 games with seven starts and no interceptions as a Raider.