We don’t often hear much from the Las Vegas Raiders’ brass during the offseason. Yet on Tuesday, the team released an in-house interview that Raiders’ general manager Mike Mayock conducted with my pal, JT The Brick.
Vets and rookies in the building ✔️— Las Vegas Raiders (@Raiders) June 1, 2021
GM Mike Mayock discusses the start of OTAs, first impressions of new DC Gus Bradley, and more. Full interview » https://t.co/zJVZaMRIKg pic.twitter.com/T8tly7Bs4S
Let’s look at some of the highlights:
- Mayock said second-round pick Tre’von Moehrig is the “prototype” free safety for new defensive coordinator Gus Bradley’s system. He said Moehrig has great range and ball skills, and he’s excited to see him fit in.
- Mayock feels the team has gotten Bradley players on all three layers of the defense that fit his system.
- Mayock also said he is excited to see the competition at strong safety with Johnathan Abram, Karl Joseph and fourth-round pick Tyree Gillespie. Mayock said Abram knows he has to get consistent and is working on it every day.
- Mayock loves having players at the facility this offseason, opposed to last season when it was all virtual. He described the building as “vibrant.”
- Mayock is also excited about the the new-look offensive line. He said quarterback Derek Carr feels good about the group too and said the unit is “invested” into becoming a strong unit.